Search this blog


Home About Contact
2009-03-02

Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies  

Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
110g (4oz) butter, softened
110g (4oz) caster sugar
110g (4oz) soft brown sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g (9oz) porridge oats (rolled oats)
110g (4oz) self-raising flour
1 level tsp salt
110g (4oz) chocolate chips, raisins or chopped nuts

Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF), Gas Mark 4. Cream the butter in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until soft. Add the sugars and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg, water and vanilla extract while still beating. Reduce the speed and gently mix in the oats, flour, salt and raisins to form a dough. Using your hands, roll the dough into walnut sized balls and place slightly apart on two baking trays. Bake in the oven for 12-25 minutes or until light golden brown but still slightly soft in the centre. Allow to cool on the trays for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool.


Happy Cookie Baking!!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



18 comments: to “ Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies

  • Arundathi
    4 March 2009 at 15:16  

    Hi - I just baked these today and I had a couple of questions.
    The dough was very wet and sticky and I couldn't shape them into balls. I just kinda plopped them onto the baking tray and they spread completely and became one huge cookie sheet! what did I do wrong?
    Also, I used steel-cut oats which I thought were the same as porridge oats. Should I have used rolled oats instead? We don't get porridge oats in India.
    Please help - I'm definitely going to try these again before the april deadline. Thanks.

  • Maria♥
    4 March 2009 at 15:38  

    OH no, so sorry to hear this. I think the problem lays in that you used instant porridge oats which is why your dough was so wet and sticky! It's rolled oats that you should use, hope this helps.

    Maria
    x

  • Arundathi
    5 March 2009 at 02:25  

    thanks so much, maria. will use rolled oats and try again. i looked it up on Cook's Thesaurus and it said steel-cut was the same as porridge, so I just went with that! No worries - happy to make it again!! :-)

  • Cookie
    6 March 2009 at 14:08  

    Hi Maria

    I have a totally different problem here - my dough is dry and stiff. I used rolled oats, and after adding 200g, it is very stiff. I managed to stir in 110g sr flour but the dough i really stiff.

    Any lead what I have done wrongly?

  • Cookie
    6 March 2009 at 14:34  

    Hi Maria,

    I just posted my pix and my version of recipe (changes indicated *).

    Appreciate your comments pls.

    Thanks
    Cookie

  • Maria♥
    6 March 2009 at 14:37  

    Hi Cookie

    Sorry to hear you've also experience problems. Did you add the water? If you did then I would suggest adding more water, until you acheive the right dough consistency. Hope this helps.

    Maria
    x

  • Arch
    7 March 2009 at 08:41  

    Hi Maria

    I am such a novice in baking, but really tempted to try these cookies. Would try to make it for the april deadline! Just a query - Is there a substitute for the egg? My granny loves oats cookies, but does not eat eggs!!

    Please do help

    Cheers

    Archie

  • Cookie
    8 March 2009 at 01:54  

    Hi Marie,

    I've added equal amount of Kahlua for water. No problem I will try it out again.

    Hi Archie,
    I am not Marie, but I like to share that I made this without egg.

    Regards
    Cookie

  • Simones Kitchen
    10 March 2009 at 10:05  

    I have a question on the recipe. I am from Holland and while I have no problem translating most of the recipe I am a little uncertain as to what rolled oats are. If there is anyone out there that speaks Dutch I would appreciate a little help. I'll also ask my Scottish friend who lives in Holland, maybe she knows...:)

  • Maria♥
    10 March 2009 at 10:15  

    Hi Archie

    Great to have you on board! I'm at a lost at what you could use as a substitution to egg, sorry.

    Hi Junglefrog

    Welcome and pleased you will be joining us. I am attaching a link to give you an idea as to what rolled oats are. There is also a pic so you can see. Hope this helps.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolled_oats


    Maria
    x

  • Simones Kitchen
    10 March 2009 at 15:56  

    Thanks Maria! Those are called havermout here... (in case anyone else was wondering) The picture explained it all!)

  • Cookie
    11 March 2009 at 02:21  

    Marie,
    It is possible to replace egg with 50g of milk.

    Regards
    Cookie

  • kd
    12 March 2009 at 17:00  

    Hi there,
    I am new to this blog and absolutely love it!!
    I tried your april challenge last week. My friends loved the cookies so much. Thanks for the recipe!. The pictures are on my blog :)

    I too used instant oats and found the dough to be a bit sticky. So i used a teaspoon instead and plopped 2 teaspoon fulls. Remembering past cookie baking experiences i made a note to increase the space between each batter blob as i kinda sensed the dough would expand when baking.

    I also stuck the remaining dough in the freezer for a night.The next morning when i took it out and defrosted it, the dough somehow seemed easier to manage and i could actually roll them into balls.

  • Dewi
    12 March 2009 at 20:02  

    I always like chocolate chip cookies, adding oatmeal is always good idea, it give the cookies different texture and more delicious too.
    Cheers,
    era

  • Snooky doodle
    16 March 2009 at 17:32  

    what a nice treat :) yumm yum

  • ♥Rosie♥
    16 March 2009 at 19:27  

    It really is so lovely to see new Sweet & Simple Bakers joining us this month. We look forward to viewing your bakes on posting day :0)

    Rosie x

  • Judy
    2 April 2009 at 16:07  

    I should not be making these - I am trying to lose 20 pounds!! I added 2 Tablespoons of pumpkin powder - a new ingredient I've been dieing to try - as well as 3/4 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice. The dough is great and the first batch is in the oven.

  • My Taste Heaven
    10 April 2009 at 10:13  

    Thank you for the recipe. Looking at your daughter eating, the cookies seem very yummy!!! BTW, your girl is cute!